DOUG'S 'HEAVY METAL' GALLERY

T A N K SC A R R I E R SG U N SA R M O U R E D   C A R S

Revenge of the T-59 - 2
   (Ver 1)

From a former Aussie armour crewman comes yet another T-59 story. It seems museums and T-59s don't go well together!

In 94 or 95 the Puckapunyal tank museum became the proud owner of a Type 59 tank that was captured in the first Gulf War.

About half way through the year the commanding officer of First Armoured regiment which at that time was located just over the hill from the museum decided that he was going to have a dining in night at the officers mess. In his wisdom he decides to invite many other officers from the area.

He then reckons that if he could get the Type 59 to park out the front of the officers mess main entrance in the carpark it would look really cool!!!

So one of his minions organises it for him and the date is set.

On this date a Sergeant and Corporal from the School of Armour who thinking they have at least 20 minutes experience driving this tractor with tracks drives it from the museum to the officers mess. On getting to the officers mess the corporal gets out and starts to guide the tank into position.

Well, the illustrious sergeant starts to reverse under guidance from the corporal. Because the carpark was very full from all the invited officers there wasn't much room so as the corporal signalled for the sergeant to stop something happened!

As we all know a good tank soldier always blames the equipment when something goes wrong. Well something did go wrong. I will now quote word for word what the sergeant stated "I went to brake and the brakes didn't work there was nothing". The consiquence of his actions meant the tank kept rolling backward and ended up on top of a female Majors brand new Toyota Corolla. The right track firmly embedded in the cars roof and if that wasn't enough the only part of the car not bent or broken at this time was the boot lid, well that didn't last long as when our heroic sergeant decides to drive the tank off it pulls the already mangled car into tracks and mashes it even more making the boot lid resemble the rest of the car.

By this time the Commanding Officer has had quite enough of this tank using his carpark as a bumper car ride and tells the sergeant in no uncertain terms to remove it. Our sergeant and corporal who by now have had quite enough abuse from the hysterical female who witnessed this destruction of her new car and the CO, drive off but not before driving over the concrete guttering that was around the mess and chewing it up causing the CO to nearly have a heart attack.

By the time our wandering sergeant got back to the School of Armour the Regimental Sergeant Major was ready to tear his head off as the Co had just torn him a new rear.

The damage:
$20000 for new car
$2000 for new guttering
And 1 very sheepish sergeant.

And before you get any ideas I was neither the sergeant or corporal involved but the sergeant was my direct superior.

Hope you got a chuckle from it.

Author annonymous.

sig - logo
 BACK TO INDEX